Thursday, August 2, 2007

Soul-Fitness

SCRIPTURE
James 1:2-5

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not resent your asking.

PRAYER
[Pray this for yourself.]

Lord, I admit to you that I really don’t like it when troubles come my way. It hurts, it’s confusing, and I seem to either feel guilt or injustice, depending on the cause of the trouble. I sometimes feel like I am pressing the barbell up, up, up, squeezing out that last repetition of the third set while my shoulders scream out with that clear burn of muscle fatigue. It hurts. But then I realize, Lord, that the pain is not destructive to my life, but is producing an increase in the strength and endurance in my character that will make me more spiritually fit for worship and ministry. And at that moment of realization, the pain actually feels different, Lord, it feels healthy. When I think back on the accumulation of strength and endurance that has accrued over the years, I begin to feel something under the pain, something deeper and more profound. I begin to feel joy; a sense of fulfillment as I taste the fruit of increased personal soul-fitness. Lord, keep my perspective clear. Keep my heart longing for growth. And make me willing to walk the road of fatigue to get this growth. Give me more moments of joy along the way, I ask. Amen.


ENCOURAGEMENT

Keep walking the treadmill of God’s path before you. Even when you don’t feel you are making any progress, your soul-fitness is increasing bit by bit, and the muscles of your faith are tightening. And it will pay off. So keep walking, and allow yourself to feel the joy of growth.


_______________________________________
Dave's Life Coaching
_______________________________________

No comments: