Thursday, August 16, 2007

His Presence

SCRIPTURE
Psalm 139:7-12

7 I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
8 If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave, you are there.
9 If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.
11 I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night—
12 but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.


PRAYER
[Pray this for yourself]

I am never alone, Lord. I am never alone. Even if I to try to escape, I cannot. Even when I am by myself, I am not alone. This heavy feeling of aloneness is not reality, but is an illusion. I have your presence. Your Spirit resides with me. You are everywhere I could go, and walk with me through every part of my journey. And although at times I think I would rather have someone with skin, indeed I am beginning to see that people with skin come and go, but you are constant. People fail, but you are consistent. People will wander off, but you are a steady companion. People ignore, while you number the hairs of my head. People sometimes do not listen, or understand, or empathize, but you lavish your undivided attention, and your understanding of my deep heart. You enter my pain and sit with me there. You get me. And as I purposefully sit with you, alone, and engage your reality in the room, I begin to feel your wise guidance and strong support come to me. I begin to see that the spiritual truth of your presence is more real that a person with skin could ever be. And I begin to rest in that reality. I still miss the closeness of the touch of a kindred spirit, I still long for that soul connection, but the longing is different now. It is an added grace to supplement the main course of a deeply intimate soul-connection with you. The more I learn to savor your presence, the more deeply will I be able to one day relish the gift of a person with skin who is fully engaged in listening, learning, and loving me. Thank you Lord, for your presence, and the guidance and support you bring. I need you. Amen.


ENCOURAGEMENT
Seek and savor the reality of his presence. Feel the depth of his lovingkindness. Value his guidance. Rest yourself on his support. And maybe one day, you will have someone with skin too. Never give up.

_______________________________________
Dave's Life Coaching
_______________________________________

No comments: