Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pray Big

SCRIPTURE

James 5:16b-18 (NASB)

 

The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.

 

 

PRAYER

[Pray this for yourself]

 

Lord, help me to pray big. I confess that my small faith would have me make excuses for unanswered prayer before I even pray. The inertia of my heart believes that because I am not extraordinary, I must pray small. Lord, remind me of the importance of faith. Remind me of the Elijahs… ordinary people who accomplished the extraordinary through earnest prayer. Refresh my awareness of the critical importance of personal righteousness to the equation of effective prayer. And Lord, move me to pray great feats of prayer. Release me to ask for the absurd. Free my heart to reach for the sky, and believe that you are big enough and gracious enough to answer me. Make me aware of what I might miss because of cowardly prayers. Make me an ordinary person like Elijah Lord, who dares to ask for the extraordinary, and believes that you will answer. And change the course of my life because of it. Amen.

 

 

ENCOURAGEMENT

Cleanse your hands, roll up the sleeves of your faith, and ask big. He longs to respond to your bold faith. He already knows the deep desires of your heart ______. And he is waiting to respond to your pleas. Be extraordinarily normal… like Elijah.

 

No comments: