Sunday, July 29, 2007

Shelter in the Storm

SCRIPTURE
Psalm 57:1

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy.
For my soul looks to you for protection;
I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the violent storm passes by.


PRAYER
[Pray this prayer for yourself]

Mercy indeed, is what I need O God. I am lost without your strong protection in these times of violence to my soul. I ask that you would stoop down to this undeserving one, and show kindness to me this day. I know that there is no other place that I can go to find shelter from this storm, no other place that is secure enough to offer true protection from the potential devastation. And I know that I do not deserve this grace… that is why it is called mercy. Have mercy, O God. It is my soul that looks for your protection, for refuge, for a hiding place. The ravages of self and sin, the condemning eyes of my enemies, the silence of those who were my brothers, the open wounds of the years that continue to be lanced; these are some of elements of the storm that buffet my soul still. And yet, I have found a hiding place in the shadow of your wing, O Lord. As I climb underneath your strong care, it is as if the door is closed to the storm. The sound of the rain is more distant; the sting of the wind is rebuffed; the warmth of your closeness replaces the bite of the cold. Your strong arm pulls me closer still as your mercy envelops me. And here I stay, waiting, longing, trusting, until the violence subsides, and you release me to again enjoy the warmth of the sunshine. Thank you Lord, for shelter, for mercy… and for the storm that has pressed me to you. I promise never again to take the sunshine for granted, never again to rest in my own sufficiency, and always to remember the mercy you have shown today. I promise to thank you tomorrow, with the same tear-filled fervency of my pleadings today. In fact, I pause now… and thank you today for the sunshine yet to come. Amen.

ENCOURAGEMENT

Run to him. He will open his wings and receive you. He will shelter your soul. And when the storm is passed, and the sunshine emerges, life will be greener from the rain, and clearer from the wind. Remember, the sun is shining even now, behind the clouds. Watch for the silver lining. Watch what God will do.

_______________________________________
Dave's Life Coaching
_______________________________________

No comments: