Monday, July 7, 2008

Gentleness

SCRIPTURE

"Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:5 (NASB)


PRAYER

Lord, as I feel my poorness of spirit in dependence upon you, and as I mourn my own sin and the sorrow it has brought, I find myself softened in my attitude toward others, prone more toward gentleness than judgment. Lord, I ask that you would use the memory of the blows of other people’s judgment and the injury to my already wounded soul, to move my heart to gentleness toward those already wounded and bleeding hearts. Make me attentive to their pain, and gentle with my words. Remove from me the judging eyes that would somehow make me better than they, and replace it with humility and kindness. Arouse me from my chair of mediocrity, and move me to active compassion, bandaging wounds and nursing battered souls. Remove from my lips the morsels of gossip, and replace them with a gentleness that believes the best in others. And may the richness of my future inheritance be enjoyed in part today as I feel the fullness of having loved deeply those who hurt.


ENCOURAGEMENT

Those who need our gentleness most, are those our flesh would most likely judge. Soften your heart, and feel it begin to fill with the richness of your coming inheritance.

No comments: